The middle years of the 20th Century saw moves towards the improvement in the education of children. A system of NATIONAL SCHOOLS was set up maintained by the Church of England and donations, and administered by County societies. Similar schools set up at the same time by non-conformist churches were called British Schools. Charles Hartshorne, the Curate of Cogenhoe from 1838 to 1865, (see Plaque 5) established a National School here opening in May 1843. HMI reports in early days were not very favourable! As local authorities began to take on a state education role, the National School closed in 1896 with the opening of the Council school on Station Road.
51 Church Street